Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Finding the perfect muffin recipe

The other day I was on the search for a great healthy muffin recipe. I just knew that it was possible to make a great tasting muffin that I could eat in the morning without feeling guilty. Most muffins are the equivalent to a piece of cake! Yowza! My search was on when I stumbled onto a fantastic fantastic baking blog. It would be wrong of me not to share it with you because if you enjoy baking then you need to know about this blog. It's http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/ and it's marvelous. Seriously you need to go check it out right after reading this. Anyways, I searched her blog for a recipe that I thought I could use for my muffins because I knew there had to be one and alas I found one! I modified it quite a bit so I'll post the original recipe and in brackets I'll post the changes. The end result was delicious. I mean as delicious as you can get without sugar! I've made 2 batches already in the past week and a half and I've loved waking up in the morning and heating up delicious homemade muffins.I figure that you can take the base of this recipe and turn them into whatever kind of muffins you feel like. I might make some with avocado and walnuts next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Hope you enjoy this recipe and Joy the Baker's blog as much as I do.

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
Recipe from http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/archives/320
and modified by me

Makes 12-15 muffins

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used quinoa flour, because I can't have to much gluten)
  • 1 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used 2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (I used soy milk, because I can't have too much milk)
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I skipped the sugar)
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) (I used 1 1/2 of unsweetened blueberries)
  • And I added 1 mushed up overripe banana. If you want you can use this instead of the egg if you're making these vegan.
  • And I added a splash of vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I simple greased and floured a muffin pan, saving the paper. (I just greased a nonstick muffin pan with canola oil)

In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, milk product, sugar (I omitted), oil, vanilla, egg and banana. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake for 16-18 minutes. (I ended up having to make mine for about 21 minutes or so)

No comments:

Post a Comment